Sure, anybody can lose weight or make a ton of money in the summer. But how many of us can attain beer glory in a few short months? With Beerfest season officially starting here in Portland, I plan to reach 1,000 beers on untappd before August 8th, 2017!
I started my Untappd account on August 8th, 2013 in preparation of a buddy's bachelor party. Now, almost 4 years later I plan on achieving a life long (4 year) dream of drinking 1000 beers according to a stupid app. I can almost assure you I've probably had double if not triple the amount that I've logged into the app. Even with me being super attentive about it, sometimes alcohol + remembering to do something isn't always a good mix. With the ability to drink up to 10 different beers per festival (maybe even more) plus my own extracurricular activities, I think I can achieve this goal. In preparation of this ground breaking task, I ask you to follow me on untappd here if you want, and maybe join me for the handful of brew festivals I plan on attending this year around town! I'm sure there will be more. My kitchen cupboards can't hold anymore festival cups..but #yolo.
1. Pints in the Pearl - Saturday Jun 3rd 2017, 12-9pm NW 13th & Davis - If you're looking for a real "brewer's brew festival" with a little bit of a upscale vibe, look no further than Pints in the Pearl. The Pearl used to be Portland's industrial area; a renaissance happened upon the NW district of the city and art galleries, tech start ups, beautiful parks, upscale restaurants, the best vacation rental property management company, and tasty breweries now call the place home.
2. Portland's Fruit Beer Festival - Saturday & Sunday June 10th & 11th 2017, 11am, Burnside Brewing - This one holds a place in my heart as I remember it being one of my first Beer Festivals I attended when I moved to Portland. It has grown over the years but still has an awesome selection of fruit beers and ciders. Definitely check it out if you're looking to quench your thirst from that Portland summer heat.
3. Puckerfest - July 18th 2017, 12pm, Belmont Station - Now in its 11th year of puckery goodness, this beer fest is a celebration of all things sour! So rest that face for a puckin good time! I'll be in the back trying to hide the weird face I make when things are too sour to handle. But damn, do I love me a solid Kriek...speaking of Krieks..
4. Kriekfest - June 24th 2017, Solera Brewing near Hood River - Choose from 30 cherry beers & ciders as your taste buds dance to the beat of the Cherry Drum. I actually will be out of town for this one...but in spirit, I'll be with you all.
5. Portland Craft Beer Festival - June 30-July 2nd, 2017 The Fields Neighborhood Park in the Pearl - Another brewery in NW Portland?!? Are you noticing a trend? This is a great time for Portland Breweries to come together to really showcase what they are all about. The festival has made it or broke it for some of my taste buds. I won't name names...but if you screw up during PCBF I probably am not gonna visit your brewery.
What do ya'll think? Am I gonna make it to 1K? I'm skipping over the big festivals because a. I'll probably write about them in more detail later and b. this already took 15 minutes longer than I planned on for it to take to write. Comment or follow me on untappd/twitter @jakehawk01. Cheers!